CJ’s Techno MemeJuly 15, 2007
Heh. This one is right up my alley.
- How long have you had a cell phone? (If you don’t have one, why not? What would prompt you to get one?) Since I bought my first car — a 1971 VW Beetle — in 1987. My mom got me one of those big hulking bag phones to keep in the trunk, because let’s be honest…Volkswagens are crappy and unreliable. I had various other phones for emergency use only (and I did stick to it) until about 1998 when I got one for business use, with the intent of using it on a regular basis.
- How much do you use it? Very seldom — once a day, if even. My phone is craptacular and only keeps a charge for like two hours.
- Do you get jittery without it? Only in the winter, really. My car hit 110,000 miles recently, though, so I’m more apt to be careful to bring it places.
- How many computers in your house? Currently? Seven. They’re not all mine, though, LOL — four are laptops I brought home from work to fix.
- How much time do you spend on the computer in a day? Too much. Really.
- How does the time break down? (work/play/email/blogs/etc.) 1/3 to 1/2 work, the rest blogs, forums, etc.
- If your computer malfunctions, do you-
- Log in as root and fix the problem in a few swift keystrokes?
- Get some online help and fix it yourself with slightly slower keystrokes?
- Enlist outside help? from whom? How does he or she respond when you ask for assistance?
- Opt for the wishful thinking computer repair strategy, also known as the reboot-with-fingers-crossed strategy?
Pretty much #2…I’m what I call “level one tech support”…I can fix most problems with a little help from Google. I do cringe when I have to fix my in-laws’ computer because they don’t have broadband, so it takes forever for me to look anything up. 😉
- What techno-gadget would you most like to own? Does a digital SLR camera count as a techno-gadget? I’m dying to get one. If not — I’d love an 8GB Nano.
- Of those you own (including PDA, iPod, etc.), which you miss most acutely if you dropped it in the lake accidentally while canoeing? I’d probably miss my iPod the most…but then again, dropping it in the lake would give me a great excuse to buy that 8GB Nano.
- What’s something you’ll never buy? Hm. Tough one. I think iPhones are hideously ugly, but the functionality might win me over someday. I don’t see myself with a Blackberry, either, but if some employer wanted to pay for it, I wouldn’t argue…..
I tag Cathy! Who loves memes! And anyone else who wants to play. 😀